One worker died and another was taken ill when ammonia gas leaked at a food processing plant in an industrial estate in South Goa on Friday, police said.
The gas leak, which has since been stopped, was reported at the Quality Foods plant in Cuncolim Industrial Estate in the early hours of Friday.
“The leak took place between 2.30 a.m. and 2.45 a.m. at the Cuncolim Industrial Estate.
“Some workers woke up and managed to escape from the site, but the deceased had remained behind,” Cuncolim Police Inspector Therron D’Costa told reporters on Friday.
“The deceased was admitted to a local hospital, but he died while undergoing treatment. Another factory worker is still being treated,” the official said.
A case of unnatural death has been registered at the Cuncolim police station.