Mucormycosis (Black Fungus): Mucormycosis (zygomycosis) or Black Fungus, a serious rare fungal disease caused by Molds called Mucoromycetes. It affects the persons who have a brief illness or underlying any health issues who are under medication that lowers the body’s ability to fight against foreign bodies and sickness.
Mucormycosis Black Fungus affects the nasal cavity and spread through arteries further it infects blood vessels and spread quickly throughout the body. It majorly affects diabetic patients due to the use of steroids while treating Covid and leading to cause for the development of mucormycosis. Recently, Aurangabad reported that 16 people were dead and 201 have caught infection due to the deadly fungus. Some of the patients lost eyesight in Maharashtra for the cause of the Black fungus.
Symptoms of Mucormycosis
- Lose eyesight
- One-sided facial swelling
- Nasal or sinus congestion
- Respiratory issues
- Black lesions on nasal bridge or upper inside of the mouth
Prevention of Mucormycosis
- Keep the glucose level of the blood under control.
- Take steroids for treating Covid judicially, avoid fluconazole and voriconazole for non-judicial use.
- Consume clean water with a humidifier for O2 support.
- The oral ulcer should be treated periodically.
- Check the Fungal growth in MRI / CT scan.
- First treat with Antifungal Medications and removal of infected tissue.
- Amphoterician B, (usually patient need 10 injections per day)
- Liposomal (10 Injections per day and one month’s hospitalization)