Releasing a new set of guidelines which shall reamin effective till December 31, the MHA has asked states to strictly enforce SOPs on various activities, Covid-appropriate behavior and exercise caution and regulate crowds.
Citing the recent spike in new cases in few States/ UTs, ongoing festival season and the onset of winter, the MHA has asked states to maintain caution and to strictly follow the prescribed containment strategy.
The main focus of the guidelines is to consolidate the substantial gains that have been achieved against the spread of Covid-19 which is visible in the steady decline in number of active cases in the country, the MHA said.
States and UTs have been asked to ensure careful demarcation of containment zones by the district authorities, at the micro level, taking into consideration the guidelines prescribed by MoHFW in this regard.
Within the demarcated containment zones, containment measures, as prescribed by MoHFW, shall be scrupulously followed. These include:
- Strict perimeter control to ensure that there is no movement of people in or out of these zones, except for medical emergencies and for maintaining supply of essential goods and services.
- Intensive house-to-house surveillance by surveillance teams formed for the purpose
- Testing to be carried out as per prescribed protocol.
- Listing of contacts to be carried out in respect of all people found positive, along with their tracking, identification, quarantine and follow up of contacts for 14 days (80 percent of contacts to be traced in 72 hours).
- Quick isolation of Covid-19 patients shall be ensured in treatment facilities/ home (subject to fulfilling the home isolation guidelines).
- Clinical interventions, as prescribed, shall be administered.
- Surveillance for ILI/ SARI cases shall be carried out in health facilities or outreach mobile units or through fever clinics in buffer zones.
- Awareness shall be created in communities on Covid-19 appropriate behaviour.
The MHA has said that the local district, police and municipal authorities shall be responsible to ensure that the prescribed containment measures are strictly followed. State/ UT governments shall ensure the accountability of the officers concerned in this regard, it said.